Technical committee for emergency egress (exit)
The recruitment process for this technical committee is now closed. We wish to thank all applicants.
On this page
The technical committee’s role is to:
- identify where persons with disabilities may face barriers related to emergency egress (exit)
- develop a national standard or standards that will try to remove or prevent these barriers
This standard or standards will apply to all private and public sector organizations in the federally regulated sector.
Compensation for individual members
We are adopting Canadian and international practices to develop accessibility standards. We will recruit experts from various backgrounds. These are volunteer roles as most members will represent organizations. If an individual with a disability is not paid by an organization, we will compensate them for their role as an expert on a technical committee.
If members need to travel, Accessibility Standards Canada covers expenditures, as per the Government of Canada travel directive.
Areas of focus
A few areas where persons with disabilities may face barriers related to emergency egress include:
- information and awareness of available accommodations in the event of an emergency
- clear emergency egress solutions, which may include visual fire alarms, proper signage, areas of refuge, accessible egress routes, evacuation plans, etc.
Find below our technical committee members, title, and organization, grouped by stakeholder category.
Chairperson and vice chairperson
Chairperson: Mrs. Betty Dion (full information: name number 4 below)
Vice Chairperson: TBD
Academic and research bodies
1. Lara Pinchbeck, Instructor of Universal Design, University of Alberta
2. Ms. Lynda Staples, Accessibility Facilitator, Fleming College
Consumer and public interest
3. Mrs. Mona Arsenault, Member of Patients Committee, Royal Victoria Hospital
4. Mrs. Betty Dion (Chairperson), President, Betty Dion Enterprises Ltd.
5. Mr. Graham Rae Dulmage, Consultant for Codes, Standards and Regulation
6. Mr. Dominic Eposito, Senior Project Consultant, Jensen Hughes
Government and authorities having jurisdiction
7. Ms. Sarah Eve De Lisle, Accessibility Coordinator, EXO (Réseau de transport métropolotain)
8. Ms. Guiliana Faggion, Manager of Accommodations Centre of Expertise, Canada Border Services Agency
Industry and commerce
9. Mr. Luke Andritsos, Architect, Andritsos Architect International
10. Ms. Jeevan Bains, Manager of Accessibility, Rogers Communications
11. Ms. Samantha Proulx, Principal and Technical Accessibility Specialist, ABE Factors Inc.
12. Mr. Allan Redford, President, Little People of Canada
13. Mr. Dion Regular, Provincial Peer Support Specialist, Spinal Cord Injury Newfoundland and Labrador
14. Mr. Christopher Sutton, President and CEO, Wavefront Centre for Communication Accessibility
Standards development organizations
15. Ms. Jennifer Jimenez, Manager of Standards Division, Canadian General Standards Board
16. Mr. John Siggers, Canadian Association of Fire Chiefs – Building Codes Committee