Technical committee for employment
The technical committee’s role is to:
- identify where persons with disabilities may face barriers to employment
- develop a national standard or standards that will try to remove or prevent these barriers
This standard or standards will apply to all private and public sector organizations in the federally regulated sector.
Compensation for individual members
We are adopting Canadian and international practices to develop accessibility standards. We will recruit experts from various backgrounds. These are volunteer roles as most members will represent organizations. If an individual with a disability is not paid by an organization, we will compensate them for their role as an expert on a technical committee.
If members need to travel, Accessibility Standards Canada covers expenditures, as per the Government of Canada travel directive.
Areas of focus
A few areas where persons with disabilities may face barriers to employment include:
- information and awareness about available accommodations and training
- finding and keeping a job
- seeking workplace accommodations
- career and job development
Find below our technical committee members, title, and organization, grouped by stakeholder category.
Chairperson and Vice Chairperson
Chairperson: Dr Mahadeo Sukhai (full information: name number 2 below)
Vice Chairperson: Mr Andrew Livingston (full information: name number 6 below)
Academic and research bodies
1. Dr Emile Tompa, Senior Scientist for the Population/ Workforce Studies Program of the Institute for Work & Health (IWH)
2. Dr Mahadeo Sukhai (Chairperson), Director of Research and Chief Inclusion and Accessibility Officer of the CNIB
Consumer and public interest
3. Ms Norma McCormick, founder and principal, Corporate Health Works, Inc.
4. Mme Monique Beaudoin, semi-retired self-employed consultant
5. Mr Andrew Livingston (Vice Chairperson), CEO, Dexterity Consulting
Government and authorities having jurisdiction
6. Dr Pamela Lahey, Senior Policy Analyst, Accessible Canada Directorate, Employment and Social Development Canada
7. Mr Glen Hayes, Senior HR Advisor, Treasury Board Secretariat
8. Ms Kelsey Baker, Human Resources Administrator, Halifax Port Authority
9. Rachel Desjourdy, Accessibility Lead, Canadian Broadcasting Corp.
Industry and commerce
10. Mr Steven Lewis, Manager, Legal Counsel and Accessibility Lead, Capital One Bank (Canada)
11. Ms Jamie Burton, Chief Business Development Officer, Canadian Council on Rehabilitation & Work
12. Mr Mark Wafer, Founder and CEO, Megleen
Labour and Unions
13. Ms Seema Lamba, National Human Rights Officer, Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC)
14. Emmanuelle Lopez-Bastos, Human Rights, Equity and Diversity Co-ordinator, United Food and Commercial Workers union
15. Wendy Lau, CEO, Leads employment services
16. Mr Gary Malkowski, Director, Deaf Culture Centre, Sign Language Institute Canada
17. Mr Don Gallant, National Director, Ready Willing and Able (RWA), Inclusion Canada (formerly CACL)
18. Ms Christine Lund, Policy and Program Coordinator/Strategic Advisor for Children, Youth and Families, Tungasuvvingat Inuit