Our vision, mission, and values
Everyone, including people with disabilities, can:
- expect a Canada without barriers; and
- be sure that opportunities and services are fully accessible.
People with disabilities lead Accessibility Standards Canada to create a Canada without barriers. We work with people with disabilities to:
- create modern accessibility standards in priority areas;
- revise current accessibility standards;
- lead research; and
- support society to reach the highest level of accessibility.
These six value statements guide our work. We value:
- The knowledge and experience of people with disabilities. We expect those we collaborate with to show this same value.
- The diversity of society. Our work respects human rights and focuses on including everyone.
- A Canada without barriers where people with disabilities can expect the same high level of access across the country.
- Universal access where services, products and places are designed to be accessible to everyone.
- Two-way communication in all areas of our work. It must be:
- timely; and
- Lived experience of disability and research as equally important when making decisions.
These values are based on the principles outlined in the Accessible Canada Act.