Minutes of the Board of Directors’ Special Meeting – January 13, 2023
Members of the Board of Directors (the Board):
- Me Paul-Claude Bérubé, Chairperson
- Mary Reid, Vice-Chairperson
- William Adair, Director
- Kory Earle, Director
- Maureen Haan, Director
- Penny Hartin, Director
- Brad McCannell, Director
- Dr. Joe McLaughlin, Director
- Laurie Ringaert, Director
Regrets: Philip Rizcallah, Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Accessibility Standards Canada public officers:
- Philipe Sarrazin, Senior Director, Corporate Services and Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
- Valerie Patrick, Senior Policy Analyst, Financial Services
- Maggie Saunders, Director, Stakeholder Relations and Intergovernmental Affairs
- Martine Bareil, Chief of Staff, Office of the CEO
- Guillaume Dufresne, Manager, Stakeholder Relations and Corporate Secretariat
- Christopher Collmorgen, Senior Policy Analyst, Stakeholder Relations and Corporate Secretariat
- Heather Scott, Policy Analyst, Stakeholder Relations and Corporate Secretariat
Friday, January 13, 2023
1. Welcoming remarks and roll call
The meeting opened with a roll call and words of welcome from the Chairperson.
33-1 Motion presented and seconded to open the meeting at 12:00 p.m. EST. Carried by all.
2. Land Acknowledgement
M. Reid presented a land acknowledgement as a small act of reconciliation with Indigenous peoples from where she was participating in Newfoundland and Labrador.
3. Board Meeting Agenda
Document 3A: Proposed Agenda
33-2 Motion presented and seconded that the Board approve the agenda of the special meeting of the Board of Directors’ held on January 13, 2023. Carried by all.
4. Departmental Plan 2023 to 2024
Document 4A: Departmental Plan 2023-2024
Board members received a copy of the Departmental Plan (DP) prior to the meeting for their review. It covers the April 1, 2023, to March 31, 2024, fiscal year. The DP, along with the Departmental Results Report (DRR), are key documents on how the organization plans and then reports to Parliamentarians and the public. The tentative date for the DP to be tabled is the week of March 6, at which point it must be posted publicly.
P. Sarrazin and V. Patrick explained the purpose, structure and format of the plan. They noted that once the plan is approved by the Board, public officers will make final edits and share it with the Minister for approval. Once approved by the Minister, the DP is sent to Treasury Board Secretariat. The President of the Treasury Board tables all DPs. Once tabled, a PDF version will be posted online.
Based on a line in the DP, directors discussed engagement of Indigenous peoples with respect to accessibility issues. The draft DP was well received. Edits will be made to further align with the language of the Accessible Canada Act and the Board’s vision.
33-3 Motion presented and seconded to approve Accessibility Standards Canada’s 2023 to 2024 Departmental Plan, with minor edits, as presented on January 13, 2023. Carried by all.
Action: Public officers will complete final editorial changes prior to sending the DP to the Minister’s office.
5. 2023 Annual Public Meeting – Recommendations
Document 5A: Briefing Note
P. Hartin walked the Board through the rationale and proposed approach for the 2023 APM. No changes were proposed to the format or length.
33-4 Motion presented and seconded to approve the proposed approach for 2023 APM. Carried by all.
Action: EAC to provide an oral update on progress at the February Board meeting.
6. Concluding Remarks
The Chairperson thanked Board and public officers for an efficient and effective meeting.
7. Motion to Adjourn
33-5 Motion presented and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 1:00 p.m. Carried by all.