Minutes of the Board of Directors’ Special Meeting – March 27, 2023
Members of the Board of Directors (the Board):
- Me Paul-Claude Bérubé, Chairperson
- Mary Reid, Vice-Chairperson
- William Adair, Director
- Kory Earle, Director
- Maureen Haan, Director
- Penny Hartin, Director
- Brad McCannell, Director
- Dr. Joe McLaughlin, Director
- Laurie Ringaert, Director
Accessibility Standards Canada public officers:
- Philip Rizcallah, Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
- Dino Zuppa, Chief Operating Officer (COO)
- Martine Bareil, Chief of Staff, CEO’s Office
- Heather Throop, Special Advisor
- Andrée Deslauriers, Director, Stakeholder Relations and Intergovernmental Affairs
- Guillaume Dufresne, Manager, Stakeholder Relations and Corporate Secretariat
- Heather Scott, Policy Analyst, Stakeholder Relations and Corporate Services
- Badra Benyamina, Junior Policy Analyst, Stakeholder Relations and Corporate Secretariat
- Stefany Chenier, Acting Manager, Communications
- Hangameh Mumtazi, Coordinator, Stakeholder Relations and Corporate Secretariat
Monday, March 27, 2023
1. Welcoming remarks and roll call
The meeting opened with a roll call and words of welcome from the Chairperson.
35-1 Motion presented and seconded to open the meeting at 1:03 p.m. EDT. Carried by all.
2. Land acknowledgement
L. Ringaert presented a land acknowledgement as a small act of reconciliation with Indigenous peoples of the province of Manitoba, from where she was participating.
3. Board meeting agenda
Document 3A: Proposed agenda
35-2 Motion presented and seconded that the Board approves the proposed agenda of the special meeting of the Board of Directors held on March 27, 2023. Carried by all
4. Accessibility Standards Canada 3-year strategic plan 2023 to 2026
Document 4A: Briefing note
Document 4B : Accessibility Standards Canada 3-Year strategic plan 2023 to 2026
At the February 2023 Board meeting, Board members reviewed Accessibility Standards Canada’s new 3-year strategic plan and requested some modifications. The Internal Affairs Committee met with MNP to finalize the plan for Board approval. The CEO also reviewed the plan and provided further recommendations.
M. Reid presented an overview. The proposed plan is based on an overarching goal for the organization. The goal is that by 2032 the organization is to have made a significant contribution to making Canada barrier-free by developing a significant quantity of ‘nationally embraced’ exemplary equity-based standards in all areas outlined under the Accessible Canada Act.
M. Reid further expanded on the structure of the plan. It is based on four strategic pillars. Each pillar is supported with strategic initiatives. The four pillars are:
- Create and evaluate equity-based accessibility standards;
- Enhance engagement of stakeholders;
- Enable organizational sustainability; and
- Strengthen diversity and inclusion.
Proposed recommendation presented to modify the last strategic initiative in Pillar 2, to read as follows:
Continue to monitor and report results indicators and measure the organization’s progress towards achieving the 2040 vision and removing barriers.
35-3 Motion presented and seconded to approve Accessibility Standards Canada’s 3-year Strategic Plan 2023 to 2026, with modification, as presented on March 27, 2023. Carried by all.
Action: The Internal Affairs Committee would like to discuss how the Board can better report to the Board and CEO in relation to the plan.
5. Concluding remarks
The Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson will be meeting with public officers to discuss the May 2023 Board meeting agenda, which will include input from Board members. Agenda will be shared with all Board members by April 6, 2023.
Reminder for all Board members to provide comments on the draft minutes from the February 2023 meeting.
Board members are invited to provide input to the annual review of policies and guidelines by April 3, 2023.
35-4 Motion presented and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 1:32 p.m. Carried by all.