Minutes of the Board of Directors’ special meeting – May 4, 2020
Members of the Board of Directors (the Board)
- Me Paul-Claude Bérubé, Chairperson
- Mary Reid, Vice-Chairperson
- William Adair, Director
- Kory Earle, Director
- Maureen Haan, Director
- Penny Hartin, Director
- Rabia Khedr, Director
- Brad McCannell, Director
- Dr. Joe McLaughlin, Director
- Laurie Ringaert, Director
Note: Due to the agenda, Accessibility Standards Canada staff members did not attend.
Monday, May 4, 2020
1. Welcoming remarks and roll call
The Chairperson welcomed everyone to the special virtual meeting of the Board of Directors. The Chairperson reminded directors that the meeting is held in full confidentiality.
2. Board meeting agenda
09-1 Motion presented and seconded to approve the agenda.
Carried by all.
3. Update from Performance Appraisal Committee
- The Performance Appraisal Committee Chair, Brad McCannell, thanked everyone for taking the time to meet. He recognized that this is a very busy time for everyone. He thanked everyone for their thoughtful answers to the CEO evaluation survey
- The CEO survey had been sent to all directors, in a confidential file. All of the directors provided comments. Mr. McCannell received the responses and removed names before sharing any of the information with support staff Heather Throop or the other committee members, Bill Adair and Laurie Ringaert
- All information had to be summarized into three pages, as required by the Privy Council Office (PCO). The template and rating categories are directed by the PCO. The final report was distributed to the Board in advance of this meeting
4. CEO assessment
Brad McCannell went through the report on the CEO evaluation.
- The final product will be modified to reflect changes due to COVID-19
- The draft narratives for overall performance, management and leadership results reflect the tone and direct comments submitted by the directors and all input from the directors
- Evaluation goes to March 31 – some events spilled over
- Template, marking categories are dictated by PCO
Discussion on the Evaluation Report:
- The evaluation is within context of a new departmental corporation that was established only six months ago; goals and objectives had not been established except for within the mandate letter
- Performance was impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Significant events and tasks could not be accomplished because of restrictions from the pandemic, i.e. cancelling the APM, inability to establish technical committees
- The tool/template was presented at the February 2020 Board meeting and approved for the committee to use
The Chairperson clarified that by approving the report the Board authorizes the Chairperson to discuss the six items listed under Number 8 with the CEO.
Decision: A seventh bullet under number 8 will be added: “The Strategic Planning Standing Committee will work with the CEO to develop goals and objectives for 2020-2021”. These will be included in the CEO performance evaluation next year.
09-2 Motion presented to accept the CEO Evaluation report* submitted by the Performance Appraisal Committee with the following added to #8: “The Strategic Planning Standing Committee will work with the CEO to develop goals and objectives for 2020-2021”.
Carried by all.
* The CEO Evaluation Report is confidential and not available to the public.
5. Concluding remarks
- The Chairperson thanked members of the Performance Appraisal Committee for their outstanding work
- The Committee Chair Brad McCannell recognized the outstanding support from Heather Throop, particularly with plain language
- The Chairperson noted that the next meeting is the regular Board meeting, to be held virtually on May 7 starting at 1:30 p.m. EST
09-3 Motion presented to adjourn the meeting at 1:30 p.m. EST.
Carried by all.